Saturday, August 24, 2019 02:08

Two Iranians killed in Monday's protests

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Iran announced that one of the people injured in Monday's protests has died bringing the number of people killed in the Febraury 14 protests to two.

Mehr news agency identified the victim as Mohammad Mokhtari who reportedly died due to "severe injuries sustained" in yesterday's events.

The other victim was identified earlier as Saneh Jaleh, a student at Tehran Art University. Jaleh was reportedly shot on the streets during the protests.

Fars News Agency identified Jaleh as a member of the Basij militia and the authorities are accusing the People's Mojahedin Organization, the exiled dissident group, of perpetrating the violence.

People's Mojahedin, whcih the Islamic Republic refers to as "monafeghin",  has denied the allegations according to Associated Press and called the report a lie.

At the same time, opposition website, Saham News has published a picture of Saneh Jaleh visiting the dissident cleric and outspoken critic of the Islamic Republic establishment, Ayatollah Montazeri along with a group of students.

Basij official, Hadi Ghassemi told Fars News Agency that they are planning a funeral service for "Martyr Saneh Jaleh, Tehran Art University student who was shot by the terrorist organization monafeghin." The service he added would be held tomorrow at 9:30 am in front of the Art University moving towards Tehran University.

Iranian opposition groups have announced that they will not allow the Basij to hold Saneh Jaleh's funeral since contrary to the claims of the state, the opposition insists that Jaleh supported the Green Movement of reform.

Ardeshir Amirarjmand, MirHosein Mousavi's aide has called for an independent truth-finding committee to investigate yesterday's events.

The opposition figure told Kaleme website: "There is no doubt that the victims of the events were injured by security and plain clothes forces."

Yesterday Iranian protesters took to the streets of Tehran in response to a rally call from MirHosein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi to march in support of the recent Arab uprisings. The opposition leaders were held under house arrest and not allowed to join the rally.

The protests became deadly once security forces clashed with protesters.