<
Tuesday, July 29, 2014 06:36

Opposition website reports lights seen at Karroubi home

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version
Mehdi Karroubi

Members of Mehdi Karroubi’s family reported that for the first time in 18 days, a light has been turned on at their parents’ home.

"We are still of the belief that our mother and father were arrested and kidnapped and taken to an unknown location, but due to fierce domestic and international pressure and the heroic actions of our people, they have been returned to their home,” a member of the Karroubi family told Saham News. “However, we will not be deceived by the authorities until we actually see them in their home.”

Mehdi Karroubi and MirHosein Mousavi along with their respective wives, Fatemeh Karroubi and Zahra Rahnavard, have been held under house arrest for 18 days now, after they rallied people to join street protests in support of the recent Arab uprisings.

Last week, the government’s refusal to allow any contact with the opposition leaders led to speculation that the captives had been transferred to a prison.

On Tuesday, Kaleme website corrected its earlier report and confirmed that MirHosein Mousavi and Zahra Rahnavard are still at their home under house arrest.

Ardeshir AmriArjmand, a Mousavi aide outside of Iran, told BBC that the couple had certainly taken away for a period of time but have now been sighted in a building near their home.

Islamic Republic authorities have adamantly insisted that the opposition leaders are at their homes and have not been transferred to any other location.

While Iran’s prosecutor general had confirmed that they are restricted from all contact, Iran’s foreign minister has told foreign media that the opposition leaders are leading a normal life, free to come and go as they please.

Despite the foreign minister's statements, several Islamic Republic officals have called for the prosecution and even execution of the opposition leaders for inciting unrest.

Hossein Karroubi, the eldest son of Mehdi Karroubi, spoke out against the recent statements by Commander Naqdi, head of the Basij paramilitary who recently called for the “immediate punishment” of Mehdi Karroubi and MirHosein Mousavi.

Hossein Karroubi once again challenged the government’s legitimacy and attacked the Islamic Republic rulers as “torturers in the guise of Muslims.”

So far no direct contact with the two couples has been reported and the opposition has expressed grave concern regarding the treatment of the opposition leaders.