<
Friday, November 28, 2014 04:35

IRGC commander says PJAK forces run out of Iran

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards Corps announced that its troops have reached the border regions of northwestern Iran, pushing Free Life Party of Kurdistan (PJAK) forces out of Iranian territory.

Iranian state media report that Brigadier General Mohammad Taghi Osanloo, the head of IRGC ground forces, said: “The IRGC has cleansed the northwest of terrorist groups and gained control over the zero point border areas.

“The anti-Revolutionary groups sustained heavy casualties during these operations and they were forced to leave Iranian territory,” Osanloo added.

In recent days, the IRGC has also reported “capturing Jasousan Heights” near Sradasht; however, PJAK spokesman Shirzad Kamangar says these are false reports aimed at raising IRGC morale. He contended that PKK and PJAK forces are established in these regions. He added that IRGC forces have been faced with severe attacks in these heights.

In recent months, the IRGC has been in constant conflict with the PJAK forces in northwestern Iran near the Iraqi border, and both sides have sustained heavy casualties.

Earlier this month, PJAK announced that it is willing to hold a ceasefire as recommended by intermediaries. However, the IRGC announced that no talks or ceasefire would be accepted until PJAK forces have left Iranian territory.

Yesterday, the PJAK spokesman Kamangar said its forces are still 80 to 100 kilometres inside Iranian territory and have stopped all military operations in the Ghandil region to avoid provoking artillery attacks by Islamic Republic forces.

Iranian artillery attacks have already caused four civilian deaths, and hundreds have had to leave their homes to escape the shelling.